Athletes are always taught to play to their potential, yet it sometimes takes a long time for an athlete to realize his or her ultimate potential. Many excellent athletes underperform throughout the most of their careers, never reaching their full potential.
What distinguishes successful athletes from others is that they see their genuine potential early in their careers. They work harder to maximize it so that when they experience difficulty, they are equipped and mentally prepared to handle it in the best way possible.
In this post, we have compiled the best collection of quotes from famous sportsmen dealing with potential and various facets of it.
Image Quotes/ Quote Wallpapers
Guess the quote’s author
Let’s take a quick quiz now before reading these inspiring sports quotes. Your task in this quiz is to identify the authors of the quotes we’ve provided from this post. You’ll have three choices to choose from, so think carefully! Match the words to the person who said them!
- “Being a superstar means you’ve reached your potential, and I don’t think I’ve reached my potential as a basketball player and as a leader yet.” – Stephen Curry, basketball player
- “I’m playing to around 30% of my potential – you’d be shocked at what I could do.” – Serena Williams, tennis player
- “You’re drafted based on your talent or your potential but the sustainable part about talent and potential is working hard.” – Tom Brady, NFL player
- “I went to my coaches, and they said I had potential, but I had to be willing to work hard. That was truly the beginning.” – Jackie Joyner-Kersee, American track and field athlete.
- “I wanted to make sacrifice to do something that nobody else was doing, to give me the opportunity to potentially do something that nobody else has ever done.” – Michael Phelps, American swimmer
- “To uncover your true potential you must first find your own limits and then you have to have the courage to blow past them.” – Picabo Street, Olympic athlete
- “True success is reaching our potential without compromising our values.” – Muhammad Ali, professional boxer
- “Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” – Muhammad Ali, professional boxer
- “You always want to outwork your potential. As hard as you believe you can work, you can work harder than that.” – Kobe Bryant, basketball player
- “I tell kids that the way I grew up, it wasn’t about winning. It was about playing well, about playing the ‘right’ way. That approach helped me enjoy the game and develop mine to its maximum potential.” – Pete Sampras, former tennis player
- “Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.” – Wilma Rudolph, American sprinter
- “I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do in school, but I definitely didn’t have adequate time to reach my full potential as a student.” – Barry Sanders, former American football player
- “I believe that if you fulfill your potential on the tennis court, all your other endeavours will become that much easier to pursue.” – Chris Evert, former tennis player
- “We all have unbelievable potential, but a wise man told me potential never won a game.” – Cam Newton, American Football quarterback
- “Discover your potential, destroy self-doubt & develop habits for success.” – Lindsey Vonn, former alpine ski racer
- “I tried to find my voice this year and use that to the better potential in positive manners.” – Simone Biles, artistic gymnast
- “It is exactly in tough times when we discover our full potential, it allows our mind and body to push ourselves beyond our limits.” – Leonardo Bonucci, soccer player
- “Potential is like a summer crop. If it don’t rain, it don’t grow.” – Charles Oakley, former basketball player
- “Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one’s potential.” – Bruce Lee, American martial artist
- “Being the best is – applying yourself to your potential, putting out the best version of yourself.” – Nikita Parris, Soccer player
- “It’s perseverance that’s the key. It’s persevering for long enough to achieve your potential.” – Lynn Davies, Olympic athlete
- “I want to squeeze every drop out of my potential as far as affecting the world around me.” – Chris Long, American football player
- “I am putting pressure on myself to do my best and perform to my potential.” – Sidney Crosby, Ice hockey player
- “It’s not my goal to beat anybody in particular, it’s about achieving what I think my potential is.” – Caeleb Dressel, American swimmer
- “As I started developing, as I started playing more tournaments and getting higher in the rankings, I saw I had massive potential.” – Sofia Kenin, tennis player
- “I think my grandmother saw my potential first. When I was young, I told her, ‘I think I should get a job.’ She said, ‘No, just keep boxing.” – Floyd Mayweather Jr, professional boxer
- “People make the mistake of thinking they’ve got to perform just because someone has said something about their potential.” – Adam Peaty, English swimmer
- “It’s not changing what people say or think. It’s about what I can do. If I feel I have the ability to achieve something and haven’t used my potential to that end, I’ll keep trying till I succeed.” – Sania Mirza, tennis player
- “I think everybody at every school across the country wants to get to the NBA as fast as possible but more specifically, I just want to maximize my potential as fast as possible.” – Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, professional basketball player
- “Any time anybody says something bad about me, that means I’ve got to work. If they say I’m not living up to what my potential is, I’ve go to work – and that’s every day.” – D’Angelo Russell, professional basketball player
- “When you help sportspersons achieve their full potential, you propel the sporting quotient of the entire country.” – MS Dhoni, cricket player
- “If you do not train hard you will never fulfill your potential.” – Maurice Greene, professional kickboxer
- “You start developing a championship attitude by, first of all, telling kids that they are really good and that they have the potential to become better.” – Mike Krzyzewski, former basketball coach
- “You play ball against yourself; your opponent is your potential.” – Mike Trout, former basketball coach
- “When you learn to keep fighting in the face of potential failure, it gives you a larger skill set to do what you want to do.” – Pat Summitt, basketball head coach
- “Potential means you haven’t done anything yet.” – Bill Parcells, American football coach
- “I see a lot of potential in so many people, even myself. The best thing we can do for ourselves is strive to do more.” – Sloane Stephens, tennis player
- “I feel a lot of people have so much potential, but they just don’t execute on it, or they don’t work hard enough. ” – Sloane Stephens, tennis player
- “If you can’t take criticism, you can’t reach your potential.” – Megan Rapinoe, American soccer player
- “The world is full of people who want to play it safe, people who have tremendous potential but never use it. Somewhere deep inside them, they know that they could do more in life, be more, and have more — if only they were willing to take a few risks.” – George Foreman, former professional boxer
- “Power is you realizing your full potential. Power is you having control over your own happiness.” – Megan Rapinoe, American soccer player
- “Performance is potential minus internal interference.” – Martina Navratilova, former tennis player
A fun quiz is a great way to summarize the lessons we can take from these inspiring quotes. This fun quiz is intended to help you remember the key ideas and takeaways from the quotes in our blog post.
How to play?
In this quiz, you must complete the quote you’ve just read from various athletes and coaches by selecting the correct option from the options provided. The aim of this quiz is to help you recall key takeaways from the quotes. You will receive one point for selecting the correct option. Are you ready? Let’s get started.
Please feel free to share this with your friends and family on your preferred social media platform. Use the buttons below to share it right away.