Resiliency is an important aspect of sports. Professional sports is highly competitive and it requires huge resilience from athletes to thrive in it. Resiliency is important in sports, just as it is in life. Many people view resilience as a trait one is born with, but resilience is actually a set of skills that can be fostered, developed and trained with practice.
In this post we are sharing with you inspiring sports quotes about resilience from professional athletes and coaches.
Image Quotes/ Quote Wallpapers
Guess the quote’s author
Let’s take a quick quiz now before reading these inspiring sports quotes. Your task in this quiz is to identify the authors of the quotes we’ve provided from this post. You’ll have three choices to choose from, so think carefully! Match the words to the person who said them!
- “All of us get knocked down, but it’s resiliency that really matters. All of us do well when things are going well, but the thing that distinguishes athletes is the ability to do well in times of great stress, urgency and pressure.” – Roger Staubach, American football player
- “Hardships are a reminder of our inner strength and resilience. They test our values and push us to grow.” – Stefanos Tsitsipas, Greek tennis player
- “You can talk about strategy all you want, but what really matters is resiliency.” – Hale Irwin, American golfer
- “One thing about championship teams is that they’re resilient. No matter what is thrown at them, no matter how deep the hole, they find a way to bounce back and overcome adversity.” – Nick Saban, American football coach
- “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan, former basketball player
- “The game was much like our season. This game tested our toughness, our resilience, our unselfishness. It’s only fitting that it turned out this way.” – Peyton Manning, American football player
- “You can’t be afraid to fail. It’s the only way you succeed — you’re not gonna succeed all the time, and I know that.” – LeBron James, basketball player
- “When things don’t go your way—or, rather, what you don’t think of as your way—there can be a variety of opportunities that may not be obvious in the moment but that through hard work, preparation, and persistence can present themselves over time and make you better.” – Tom Brady, American football player
- “I grew up where, when a door closed, a window didn’t open. The only thing I had was cracks. I’d do everything to get through those cracks – scratch, claw, bite, push, bleed.” – Dwayne Johnson, former wrestler
- “Everything negative — pressure, challenges — is all an opportunity for me to rise.” – Kobe Bryant, basketball player
- “A champion is defined not by their wins, but by how they can recover when they fall.” – Serena Williams, tennis player
- “You can knock me down, but I get up twice as strong.” – Lewis Hamilton, British racing driver
- “You just gotta keep going and fighting for everything, and one day you’ll get to where you want.” – Naomi Osaka, tennis player
- “When things are down, we can’t hit the panic button, and when things are up, we can’t relax. We’ve just got to stay consistent.” – Kirk Cousins, American football player
- “All I do is just use it as motivation: keep getting better, keep doing the same stuff and doing it even better.” – John Wall, basketball player
- “It’s a lot of different scenarios that you find yourself in, and you have to be prepared and have the personnel and the resiliency to kind of be able to live in those moments.” – Stephen Curry, basketball player
- “The game teaches you resilience and it teaches you to really — to accept defeat, which is a hard thing for an athlete to do, because you know you get hung with a loser moniker, man, it’s a hard way to go through life.” – Olin Browne, American golfer
- “The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” – Vince Lombardi, American football coach
- “When you stand and overcome a significant setback, you’ll find an increasing inner confidence and self-assurance that has been created by conquering defeat.” – Bill Walsh, American football coach
- “You don’t start with the roof. You don’t put the bow on top of the house. You start with the foundation, and that’s things like love for each other and love for what we do. It’s grit, it’s resiliency and industriousness and enthusiasm.” – Mike Kohn, American former bobsledder
- “Our theme this year is resilience. We knew we were going to have challenges. You can’t get to where you want to go without them.” – Mike McCarthy, American football coach
- “The key word is resilience. It’s the mark of a successful team, it’s the mark of a successful person. How can you withstand the storms that life gives you?.” – David Shaw, football coach
- “Resilience is something that you have to have at this position, and that’s something that I think was always instilled in me at an early age.” – Geno Smith, football quarterback
- “Despite the tough season, my resiliency and my belief in myself had never been stronger. I was eager to compete for the game and the position I loved.” – James Morgan, football quarterback
- “What determines whether you’ll be successful is your resilience of spirit.” – Steve Lavin, basketball coach
- “You’re at uni, you’re working and trying to run at a high level. That’s obviously pretty tough but I feel that builds your resilience and gets you strong.” – Stewart McSweyn, Australian long-distance runner
- “There’s just no respite and you need to be able to show your resilience for the whole year.” – John Longmire, Australian rules football coach
- “If you want to begin to prove how much of a quality player you are, you need to showcase your resilience.” – Unknown
- “We tired a bit late on, after all the games we’ve had, but that’s when you’ve got to show your resilience and if you can’t find the breakthrough, make sure you don’t lose.” – Brendan Rodgers, football manager
- “knock-backs happen in professional sport whether they’re at the beginning, middle, later or throughout your career and this is what develops your character, your drive and your resilience.” – Nick Easter, rugby union player
- “A lot of the game is about what happens in your head, your resilience and how to get the best out of people.” – Chris Robshaw, English rugby union player
- “Losing to Pete has caused me enormous pain, but in the long run it’s also made me more resilient.” – Andre Agassi, former tennis player
- “Rather than viewing a brief relapse back to inactivity as a failure, treat it as a challenge and try to get back on track as soon as possible.” – Jimmy Connors, former tennis player
- “Failure is a learning opportunity. That’s how you build resilience. That’s how you build strength.” – Neville Wright, Canadian bobsledder
A fun quiz is a great way to summarize the lessons we can take from these inspiring quotes. This fun quiz is intended to help you remember the key ideas and takeaways from the quotes in our blog post.
How to play?
In this quiz, you must complete the quote you’ve just read from various athletes and coaches by selecting the correct option from the options provided. The aim of this quiz is to help you recall key takeaways from the quotes. You will receive one point for selecting the correct option. Are you ready? Let’s get started.
Please feel free to share this with your friends and family on your preferred social media platform. Use the buttons below to share it right away.